Big dreams, underdogs rule movie Box Office

Americans are flocking to theaters to see the most elusive of creatures, the feel-good movie. From Wilbur, the loveable, big-hearted pig in “Charlotte’s Web” to Will Smith’s dynamic performance in “The Pursuit of Happyness,” all of the top five in Weekend Box Office totals offer hope, and optimism many see lacking in everyday American life.

“Dreamgirls,” having grossed over $54 million is a break-out success with superstar Beyonce Knowles, Oscar winner Jamie Fox and former “American Idol” contender, Jennifer Hudson. In this tale three friends from Chicago overcome the odds and unscrupulous managers to become international stars in the music world.

Sylvester Stallone stars in “Rocky Balboa,” in which the champ takes on a new challenge decades after his retirement, highlights overcoming adversity brought on by age and ruthless promoters.

“A Night at the Museum” has been at the number one spot for Weekend Box Office totals for three weeks. It features Ben Stiller joined by classic actors Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dyke. Theater-goers have been delighted by this story of a down-on-his-luck security guard whose graveyard watch sets the stage for miraculous adventures with Mayan warriors, Roman gladiators and cowboys.

“Freedom Writers,” starring Hilary Swank, is based on the true story of a Long Beach, Calif. inner city teacher and her courageous students. Originally a novel, this inspirational story offers the hope of change in our most incessant social problems.

Even “Children of Men,” a futuristic portrayal of a childless society is ultimately a story of sacrifice, optimism and redemption.

“Primeval,” a horror movie about a serial killer with over 300 victims, is the only dark spot on the pristine happy canvas of American cinema.

Upcoming movies for 2007 follow the same pattern.

“Stomp the Yard” offers a classic dancing tale with a new twist. An inner city teen from Los Angeles goes to an Atlanta college and finds self-esteem and love through stomp-style dance.

“Alpha Dog” is a glaring dark exception to the trend. Amanda Seyfried, Justin Timberlake and Sharon Stone star in this gritty movie that explores the complicated Los Angeles drug scene.

“Smoking Aces” is the long- anticipated new release starring Ben Affleck, Alicia Keys and Andy Garcia. This comc action movie features several disreputable characters from bounty hunters to thugs-for-hire, deadly vixens and mobsters to join in the hunt for “Ace,” a double-crossing Vegas magician.

Whether in the mood for comedy, drama or action, if moviegoers are looking for a smile, they will not be disappointed.