New generation of game systems competes to be number one console

As E3, otherwise known as the Electronic Entertainment Expo, came and went in 2006, gamers and game companies considered this event to start the new age of the video game console wars. It has been over five years since there had been a console war with the likes of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all vying for the title of best console of the 21st century.

For years, Nintendo was the sole name in gaming with mega-hit titles such as Super Mario Brothers, Metroid and The Legend of Zelda, all of which have sold millions of copies worldwide.

Soon after the turn of the Millennium, the race for game supremacy began with the launch of Playstation 2. Kid-friendly Nintendo GameCube and the Xbox entertainment console were launched within a year of each other.

The PS2 sold over 105 million units worldwide, making it the best selling console of all time.

As the years lay dormant with the news of new consoles, Microsoft took a lesson from Sony and decided to come out with its own console, the Xbox 360, a full calendar year before its competitors to get an early advantage on the video game market just as Sony did five years earlier.

Colby Himes, a junior in Computer Science from St. James, is an employee of EB Games in Thibodaux and said so far the Wii has been the most-wanted gaming system in the store.

“Since its release date around Christmas, the Wii has been the hottest selling console because of its low price and different style of gaming,” Himes said.

As it will take many years to determine which console will fare better, the advantages and disadvantages of each console will decide the which company can lay claim to best gaming system.

The PS3 has the most computer hardware with a removable hard drive, wireless capability and Blu-Ray disc player. However its $600 price tag and later release date of Metal Gear Solid 4, arguably the system’s most popular game, could put the system a couple of steps behind the 360.

The Wii could be a look at what gaming will be 10 or even 20 years from now with the system’s wireless, motion-sensitive controller that uses wrist and arm movements rather than a joystick or D-pad. The use of the online store to download classic Nintendo games is also a plus, but Nintendo will still have to shake its image as a console designed for kids.

Since 360 is the most familiar console at this time, Microsoft already has enough titles to keep gamers interested, along with future games to combat the PS3 and Wii. The Xbox live online feature, along with the possible release of Halo 3 in November could keep the system ahead.

However, Himes believes that the winner of this console cycle could surprise you.

“Although the PS3 and Xbox 360 are the big names in gaming, the Wii is more interactive, which will keep its replay value high for years to come,” Himes said.