Nicholls alumna working in television

Jill Allemand
Photo by: Submitted Photo
Jill Allemand

Mass communication graduate Jill Allemand is living in her new home in the green hills of sunny California, working as director of promotions in product integrations at Warner Bros. Worldwide Television. Jill credits her success to the well-rounded education she received at Nicholls.

Born and raised in Houma, Jill Allemand attended Nicholls with a double major in mass communication and public relations with a minor in marketing. She works with advertisers for companies such as Coca-Cola to get their products used on various programs. Shows that Allemand is currently working on include: “Smallville,” “Two and a Half Men,” and “ER.”

Although she is doing very well now, the outlook was not always so bright for Allemand. After graduating from Nicholls in 1994 she worked locally for a management company. After several years, she was laid off. Allemand then moved to California with no job, knowing only one person. Initially a temporary employee for FOX, Allemand eventually became a coordinator for their National Promotions department. As a coordinator, Allemand worked on the first three seasons of “American Idol,” which she cites as one of the highlights of her career. She said her favorite contestant was Jennifer Hudson, current star of the hit movie “Dreamgirls.”

A former reporter and advertising manager for The Nicholls Worth, Allemand says one of the reasons behind her accomplishments is the diversity of her experiences and classes at Nicholls. One lesson really paid off in her line of work Allemand said is “deadlines are crucial!”

She also said working with different departments such as publicity, production and online is another because she truly understands the challenges due to the wide spectrum of knowledge she learned at Nicholls.

“You can be respectful of their time and ideas,” she said.

Allemand said one of the most rewarding benefits of her success is as a member of the prestigious Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, she is able to vote on the Emmy Awards.

When not working, Allemand spends time with the friends that she says have become like family. She also enjoys hiking the California hills, painting and photography. She said although she does not take very much time off, she genuinely loves what she does. Allemand’s secret to staying calm in such a frantic industry is to always remember, “we’re not curing cancer- it’s television.”

Allemand has this advice to current Nicholls students: “Don’t be afraid to dream big — no matter how crazy people think you are.