Scholorship named after Alumni Affairs Director Emetirus

The Deborah Raziano Endowed Alumni Scholarship has been created in commemoration of Nicholls’ Director Emeritus of Alumni Affairs due to her dedication to Nicholls State and the legacy that she has left.
Raziano has been a part of the Nicholls family for quite some time now. She attended the University in 1969 and was named Miss Nicholls in 1973. After graduating, she returned to Nicholls as the director of Alumni Affairs after working as the National President for Delta Zeta sorority for about five years. Raziano became Nicholls’ fifth alumni director in 1981, where she served 32 years.
The scholarship will be awarded annually to a full-time student who has achieved at least junior status. The recipient must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA, be a member of at least two university-sanctioned organizations and submit two letters of recommendation. The student will be awarded $1,000 over two semesters.
When Raziano announced her retirement in October of 2012, the last thing she expected was a scholarship named after her.
“I was so honored and shocked to find out that Nicholls was creating a scholarship in my name.” Raziano said. “I have always loved to help students, and to know that this scholarship will also be helping students is so humbling to me.”
According to Raziano, this scholarship really captures her love of giving without expecting anything in return.
“I never give to receive. I always give because I love making people smile and make their day better,” Raziano said. “I love that this scholarship just gives, and it will continue to give to students for years to come.”
Raziano is still a very involved member of the Alumni Federation, and she still pops her head in from time to time.
“Monique Crochet has done such a fine job as the new director so far, and I know she will really take the federation to the next level.”
Since Raziano’s retirement, she has been working on a committee for Nicholls Europe and has been involved with them since her trip to England and Ireland this past summer through the program. Raziano also plans on visiting Sicily, Italy this summer with Nicholls.
“I would have never thought I would want to go to Europe or if I would even have the time to go,” Raziano said. “But retirement has given me so many opportunities, and it has really made this year fly by.”
According to Raziano, the interaction with people is what she misses most about Nicholls.
“I have always loved being a part of the wellbeing of this university that I have known and loved for so long,” Raziano said. “I always used to sign my letters with the phrase ‘in Colonel Spirit,’ and I truly believe that even though I am retired, I still have that spirit and I always will.”