Softball prepares to get back into swing

The Lady Colonels softball team has already hit the practice field in hopes of improving on last season’s eighth place finish in the Southland Conference.Second-year head softball coach Jenny Parsons said this year’s team appears better prepared going into the fall season.

“We are about half-and-half right now as far as returning players and newcomers,” Parsons said. “I feel they were better prepared than last season entering the fall, so I believe we’ll be even more prepared once Feb. 10 comes around.”

The Colonels ended last season 18-34 overall and 10-17 in the Southland Conference. This season, the Colonels have four seniors and 11 players returning from last year’s squad.

Senior catcher Meghan Mulcahy said she is looking forward to her senior season.

“We’re excited about the season,” Mulcahy said. “I’m hoping we can play well as a team and win some games this season.”

In addition to Mulcahy, the Lady Colonels return senior infielder Brandi Hahn, who led the team in runs last season. Parsons said Hahn is having a good off-season.

“She’s gotten real strong, and she’s swinging the bat really well,” Parsons said. “She’s going to anchor our infield this season.”

Junior infielder Leah Peterson; senior outfielder Andrea Ground, who is currently injured with a broken wrist; sophomore pitcher Jessica Barksdale; junior outfielder Jennifer Campbell; sophomore pitcher Allison “Allie” May; sophomore first-baseman Amy Thibodaux; senior short-stop/outfielder Teri Clouatre; sophomore outfielder/infielder Rachel Pugh; and sophomore short-stop/outfielder Kathryn “Kat” Harrell round out the rest of the Colonels’ returning players.

In order for the Colonels to improve, Parsons said they have to play better defensively.

“We improved immensely on offense, but we’d score six runs and lose seven to six,” Parsons said. “Some of it was on the mound, but a lot had to do with not playing strong defense. I’m hoping that this year we play stronger defense fundamentally and mentally and be better on the mound.”

Besides returning starters May and Barksdale, the Lady Colonels have two transfer pitchers from Division I-A programs.

Freshman pitcher Krystalin Ensminger joins the Colonels from Auburn. Ensminger, who is the daughter of former LSU and New Orleans Saints quarterback Steve Ensminger, attended West Monroe High School where she compiled a 26-7 record as a senior.

The other transfer is sophomore pitcher Alexandra Austin, who transferred from Syracuse University where she started two games, earning one win and struck out five.

Highlighting the Lady Colonels’ schedule are games against non-conference foes Florida State, UAB, Louisville, Arkansas, North Texas, Southern Miss, University of Louisiana-Lafayette, Southern, Alcorn State, Louisiana Tech and Baylor.

Mulcahy said playing the tougher teams helps better prepare for conference.

“The harder the competition, the better we can do in our conference games,” Mulcahy said. “The teams in our conference are good, but they won’t be as tough as some of the other teams we have to play.”

All in all, Parsons said this team can compete in conference and, even though it’s early, all she wants is for the team to give it their all.

“All I want is for them to compete hard,” Parsons said. “They need to take every game like it’s the last game they’re going to play and put forth 100 percent effort. If they do that I have nothing to complain about, whether we win or lose.