Fraternity signs its 1000th member

Members of Tau Kappa Epsilon pose for a group picture Jan. 31 in the Century Room. TKE recently became Nicholls first fraternity to have 1000 members.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman
Members of Tau Kappa Epsilon pose for a group picture Jan. 31 in the Century Room. TKE recently became Nicholls’ first fraternity to have 1000 members.

Tau Kappa Epsilon made Nicholls history Jan. 30 by becoming the first fraternity on campus to have 1000 members. In honor of their accomplishment, the Nicholls chapter of TKE will appear on the cover of TKE’s national magazine, The Teke.

Rory Russell, freshman from Lake Forrest, Calf., who is in charge of public relations for TKE, credits their success to working overtime to bring in new members and looking for people who may not fit the stereotype of a typical Greek student.

Jack Rodriguez, freshman from Miami, Fla., became TKE’s 1000th member when he was signed to the fraternity Jan. 30. Although he will not receive any prizes, Rodriguez said it is definitely a big deal to him and his family.

Rodriquez’s father pledged TKE while at Louisiana State University, and Rodriquez said his father was very excited about his joining the same fraternity.

Rodriguez knew when he entered Nicholls he wanted to join TKE.

“I sensed a bond in the group,” he said.

Greco Faria, president of TKE, said he is ecstatic.

“I think it’s a great accomplishment,” Faria said. “We couldn’t have done it without the help of the alumni who came before us.”

“I’m really proud of them,” Tom Stephens, Greek life adviser said. He called their involvement on campus outstanding.

According to Russell, TKE does not have any specific criteria for prospective members; they just look for “good guys with a lot of heart.”

“We have a little bit of everything,” he said. “We have lacrosse athletes and a guy who has had a 4.0 his whole college career,” Russell said.

Russell said a factor drawing in new members is the quality of brotherhood among members of TKE.

“We look out for each other,” Russell said. “It’s not what you do; it’s who you are.”

Another feature of TKE’s philosophy that may draw in recruits is their community service policy. TKE has the highest average community service hours of any fraternity on campus.

They average about 30 hours community service time per semester per student. The activities include Hurricane Katrina cleanup and passing out flyers for political races.

Alex Ludwig, vice president of TKE, said over the years TKE has gained a reputation for having “the spirit.”

“We put ourselves out there,” Ludwig said. “People want to be involved.