Forum discusses integration at Nicholls

A Nicholls historian explained Tuesday in Le Bijou Theater that although the University was one of the last public institutions in the state to integrate, the procedure on campus was relatively peaceful. Professor emeritus of mass communication Alfred Delahaye spoke to an audience of students, faculty, staff and administrators as part of a Black History Month Forum. Afterwards, the group engaged in a discussion about the University’s progress and shortcomings regarding diversity on campus.

In 1963 area black leaders met and secretly planned the integration of Nicholls, Delahaye said. The group carefully picked students who would apply for admission and be rejected. The civil action suit, Edward Baker, et al. v. Francis T. Nicholls State College, et al., determined that seven black students would be granted admission to the University Sept. 17, 1963. Twenty-one black students registered that fall.

“Everything went peacefully. There was no violence,” Delahaye said. “Part of the reason was the planners went about it with great intelligence and great care.”

Today, black enrollment at Nicholls is about 20 percent, and the percentage of black faculty members is about 5.

Eugene Dial, vice president for student affairs and enrollment services, said the University faces the challenge of involving more black males in the campus community.

“As a group, there’s a higher percentage of disconnect with African American males in an institutional environment like Nicholls than any other group,” Dial said.

Allie Johnson, assistant director of auxiliary services, said student survey responses indicated part of the problem may be caused by a lack of black faculty members, which results in fewer black role models.

Stanley Coleman, assistant speech professor, said there is also a scarcity of black administrators.

Some students said they have observed the lack of black faculty members and administrators.

“It impacts how (students) perceive things happening on campus,” Alex Barnes, government sophomore from New Orleans, said. “It makes me aspire to do more with myself.”

In regards to discrimination on campus, Dial said if society had a better understanding of history, it would not engage in or allow offensive actions to occur.

“If (society) had an awareness of history, I would never hear women referred to as bitches and whores because that would not be acceptable,” Dial said. “I would never hear the ‘n’ word if people really knew and understood the hate associated with it. I’d never hear slurs against people because they’re gay or lesbian or bisexual because it depicts hate.”

Joe Wallace, family and consumer sciences junior from Thibodaux, said the University is becoming more diverse.

“It’s only getting better,” Wallace said. “We need to keep the progress going.