Writer predicts Steelers will lose

Let me start this column by saying this: if you are a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, you need to read this entire article.As you already know by now, your beloved Steelers will be squaring off with the Seattle Seahawks at Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

You’ve got Ben Roethlisberger, the new poster boy for the NFL who, for some strange reason, loves to talk about getting a Fathead. Your guess is as good as mine there.

Then there’s Jerome Bettis, the 13-year pro who is playing in the first Super Bowl of his career, in his hometown of Detroit. This could be the last time anybody will see Bettis don a jersey of any team; there have been rumors that he will retire at season’s end.

The steel curtain, terrible towels, immaculate reception, four championships in the 70’s, the list goes on and on.

Too bad none of those things can win you a championship, which will be evident Sunday when the Steelers get handed one of the worst beatings in Super Bowl history.

Ok, maybe that was a little over the top, what I really meant to say was, the Steelers are going to lose so badly, I think I’ll be watching Star Trek on G4 by halftime.

Now as you look across the page at my colleague’s column, of course his looks more appealing since he has the word, “editor,” next to his name. But I will do my best to change some of your minds as to why I think the Seahawks will take the title.

Although Seattle’s defense was ranked 16th overall in the league, it was ninth in the NFC, only allowing 16.9 points per game. Don’t be fooled by this defense; with veteran Grant Wistrom, rookie linebacker phenom Lofa Tatupu and Marcus Trufant, this defense will throw the Steelers offense into a frenzy.

Matt Hasslebeck has proven that he is one of the top QBs in the NFC, if not the entire league. Quietly he led the conference in passer rating with 98.2. In two games in the playoffs he’s had a rating of 109.6. They may not be the most astounding numbers but when you drop 34 points on what was a stingy Carolina Panthers defense that’s not too shabby.

Having an MVP on your team does not guarantee a championship; just ask the Colts. However, an MVP, league-leading rusher and record-setting touchdown leader is a different story. For the past three years, Alexander has been one of the leading rushers in the league with all-pros such as Priest Holmes and LaDanian Tomlinson.

Now I’m not telling you whom to root for on Sunday; I’m sure Kyle has tried to persuade most of you readers out there to his side by using money. Now I know how he met his friends.

The one thing we can both agree on is that this is a time when you can trash-talk, root for your favorite team and throw one of the best parties of the year. It’s just another way to make this big world of ours seem that much smaller.