Nicholls Alumna now practicing law

Nicholls alumna Roger Hamilton Jr. speaks to students about his job as assistant district attorney for Iberia Parish during Constitution Week in September 2006.
Photo by: Kris Risinger

While many students avoid the library during college, Roger Hamilton Jr. spent most of his time there while attending Nicholls. Hamilton is currently an Assistant District Attorney in Iberia Parish and works in a private civil practice after-hours.

“Nicholls gave me a broad education about law and now that I am a practicing attorney, it all fits together,” Hamilton said.

After graduating from Nicholls in 1998, Hamilton attended the LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center where he received his law degree. On a typical day, Hamilton can be found in his office at 9 a.m., and depending on whether he has to be in court, his day can end as early as 4 p.m. or sometimes much later.

On days he does not attend court his duties include screening and researching cases, getting case files ready for court and making many legal day-to-day decisions like whether or not there will be enough evidence to prosecute.

When he is away from his work as an attorney Hamilton enjoys playing golf, collecting sports cards and reading.

While at Nicholls, Hamilton was a Student Government Association Senator and a member of the Phi Alpha Theta fraternity. He was also involved in the Newman Organization, a Catholic group at St. Thomas Aquinas.

Hamilton was also chosen to participate in the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators program, which seeks to increase the number of minorities in student affairs professions. In 1998, Hamilton was one of 10 students inducted into the University’s Hall of Fame.

Hamilton’s goal is to become an elected official. Hamilton says he is preparing for that day by building relationships and proving himself to the community.