St. Thomas priest takes leave of absence

Jim Morrison
Photo by: Submitted Photo
Jim Morrison

Father James Morrison, pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas, announced earlier this month he is planning to take an extended leave of absence after 20 years of service. Morrison wrote in a letter he sent to parishioners that he is taking time off to “discern where the Lord is calling (him) to offer my service.”

Morrison said he feels called to listen and pray about the direction God wants him to take now. He feels his direction will then become clear and he will be able to make specific plans.

Although Morrison will be leaving St. Thomas Aquinas he will still have the ability to function as a priest; he is simply taking time away from active ministry.

Students expressed both sorrow and support for Father Jim, as parishioners affectionately call him. Carrie Thibodeaux, history junior from Chauvin, said although she will miss him, she believes he is making the right decision for himself.

“Everyone needs personal time for themselves,” she said. She also credits Morrison for her going to mass more often.

Employees at the St. Thomas Aquinas Center also expressed their sorrow due to his leaving.

“It’s like losing your dad, your grandpa and your uncle all in one,” Nakeema Bolden, cashier in the caf Common Grounds at St. Thomas Aquinas.

“We’re all going to miss him. He’s going to leave some big shoes to fill,” Maria Havis, administrative assistant to Morrison, said.

Brandon Allemand, general studies senior from Lockport, credits Morrison with turning St. Thomas Aquinas into a welcoming place not only for Catholic students, but also for all denominations. “We went from being a small, closed group to a place where everyone is welcome. The way it’s supposed to be,” Allemand said.

Far from resenting their mentor and teacher for leaving, students are proud of Morrison for making this difficult decision.

“No matter what life throws at him he never loses his faith…I commend him for taking this step,” Chris Dehart, English junior from Houma, said.

Parishioners said what they will miss the most is his presence. “He is always here to help everybody out,” Thibodeaux said. “Making sure everyone has a good time and inviting new people in.”

There have not been any efforts so far to appoint a new pastor to St. Thomas Aquinas. Morrison will continue to serve as pastor until June.

Morrison has recently been the center of much controversy and media scrutiny after announcing in a letter to parishioners that although celibate, he is homosexual.

He dismissed rumors that his decision to take a leave of absence was motivated by church authorities.

“The Bishop and the congregation at St. Thomas have been very supportive,” Morrison said.

Despite the media attention Morrison attracted when he announced his sexuality, he asserts that attendance at church services has been up.