Colonels baseball relies on Comer for leadership

Senior outfielder Bear Comer bats during last year’s doubleheader against Arkansas-Monticello.

After averaging a .372 batting average in 2010, outfield Bear Comer begins his senior season being named first team all-conference.

Last year, the Pace, Fla. native was the Colonels’ leadoff man and ended the season eighth in the Southland Conference with 16 stolen bases and drew 44 walks—the second best total in conference and the 50th best total in the nation.

Despite his past success, Comer has high hopes for the upcoming season. “I just want to be the best teammate that I can be and do what they need me to do to help the team win, and that’s get on base as much as possible,” Comer said. Comer admits that his biggest strength for the Colonels is his ability to get down the first base line quickly.

Apart from his personal goals for the season, Comer also has goals for his team. “I think every Division 1 athlete wants to make it to the World Series to start with,” Comer said. “Hopefully we can come out and win conference and hopefully win a championship.”

According to Comer, his favorite thing about playing college baseball is the added drama that goes in to every game. “You’re playing for something every game, it’s a lot more exciting,” Comer said. Comer says his least favorite thing about playing baseball at the college level is the intensity as far as coaching and other athletes. “There’s always somebody behind you to make you better and try to take over your position,” Comer said.

The Colonel’s head coach Seth Thibodaux has nothing but good things to say about Comer. “Bear’s definitely the best lead-off hitter in our conference and possibly in the country and he’ll prove that with his numbers at the end of the year,” Thibodaux said. “He’s so special to our lineup. He just makes the guys that hit behind him just a whole lot better just by being on base, he makes everyone around him better.”

Unlike many athletes nowadays, Comer admits he doesn’t have a set pregame routine, but once the season starts, he does things the same from game to game.

Comer also doesn’t have a preference when it comes to playing at home or away. “It’s a mutual feeling,” Comer said. “I like when we’re on the road because you get to show the fans what you’re there to do and that’s to take down the other team. At home, you get a lot more home fans which is nice.”

Comer’s favorite baseball player is Alfonso Soriano who played for the Chicago Cubs, and since his dad is from Chicago, he’s always been a fan. This is also where the nickname ‘Bear’ originated. “My dad said when I was younger he used to watch the Chicago Bears play football on TV,” Comer said. “When I was in my diapers I would sit by the TV and pretend that I was playing with them as the quarterback.”

As for future plans, Comer is focusing strictly on the upcoming season, but hopes to one day join the S.W.A.T team in New Orleans.

Senior outfielder Bear Comer makes it back to home plate during last year’s game against Houston Baptist.