Photo by: Lauren Hebert
What to know about tomorrow’s opponent, the UIW Cardinals
September 16, 2016
The Nicholls State University (0-1, 0-0 SLC) football team returns home this weekend to take on the University of the Incarnate Word (1-1, 1-0 SLC) for a highly anticipated conference game set for 3 p.m. on Saturday at John L. Guidry Stadium.
Here are some things you need to know about the opponent heading into the game:
- The University of the Incarnate Word is a private university located in San Antonio and Alamo Heights, Texas.
- UIW has about 10,000 students and their mascot is the Cardinal.
- The name of the Cardinals’ football stadium in San Antonio is Benson Stadium, which is named after New Orleans Saints and Pelicans owner, Tom Benson.
- UIW assembled its first football team in 2009 and the Cardinals moved into Division I play after joining the Southland Conference in 2013.
- Prior to joining SLC, UIW was a member of the Division II Lone Star Conference.
- Saturday will be the third meeting between UIW and Nicholls, with the Cardinals owning a 2-0 record against the Colonels.