Upperclassmen give advice to incoming freshman

Upperclassmen gave advice for freshmen at move-in day, such as getting more involved at Nicholls for the upcoming 2014 fall semester.

Sam McBeath, senior Print Journalism major, gave advice to be open-minded about anything and everything on campus. Although some freshmen said they were nervous, McBeath believes it is best to take risks for new opportunities. Jill Fremin, senior Elementary Education major, said for freshmen to make these next four years the best four years of their lives. Fremin suggested to freshmen that they enjoy what is offered and to not let it pass.

Kayla Sohm, senior Accounting major said, “Always go to class, talk to the teachers, don’t be scared and always do the work that is assigned.”

Freshmen often said they were scared of their classes by failing, falling behind, or not getting anything turned in on time. Sohm advised to not be afraid to talk to teachers about assigned work. Shanice Walker, junior Culinary Arts major, advised freshmen to stay focused on the schoolwork assigned. Walker said to freshmen they should always stay focused on the work given to the students by the professors. Marissa Weil, junior Nursing major, said that freshmen need to take things out of their comfort zone and to take chances. Weil said that freshmen should do things that push the limits of their comfort when involving classes or events.

Dusti Hargis, a freshman said, “I’m nervous about not being able to keep up with studies.”

Nikki Migues, junior Culinary major, advised those freshmen who are nervous that it’s not always as complicated as it seems. Even though freshmen said they are nervous about how hard those classes will be, Migues said for students to relax or the class will seem harder than it appears. Kimberly Thibodaux, junior and Education major, gave a warning not to party too much during freshmen year.

Thibodaux said, “It makes it extremely hard to keep up with studies and classes if partying is made a major priority.”

Many students were anxious at move-in day because they said college is a new experience for them. Many upperclassmen were either moving back to Nicholls or coming from a different school, while it was something totally new for freshmen.
Christian Turner, a freshman said, “I’m nervous about being separated from my family.”

Upperclassmen agree that, with careful guidance and advice, freshmen will find their place around Nicholls, soon taking on the campus.

Though the list can go on and on. Oneal Scott, sophomore Pre-Law major, and Alex Simmons, sophomore Business Administrations major, warn freshmen to not procrastinate and to have all their priorities straight. Chandler Lewis, sophomore Petroleum Safety and Tech major, says to always be optimistic. After hearing the upperclassmen’s helpful advice, the freshmen were asked of their fears and what they are nervous about.

Each freshman has a fear that is different yet the same as the others that surround them. Zach Poche, a Biology majoring freshman, worries about time management. Kavin Warren, a freshman majoring in the Culinary Arts, is nervous about meeting new people and worries about getting lost.

All the upperclassmen welcome the newly incoming freshmen to their first semester of college. Though it may seem scary at first, it is sure to be one of the best times and most memorable moments in the freshmen’s lives.

Students of all classifications moved into their appointed dorms Saturday Aug. 15. There were many people at the move-in day, making the event more fun than stressful. Common to all students, freshmen have fears and are nervous about starting college. The upperclassmen have been through the entire ordeal and know what to do and what not to do when it comes to the first semester of college.