Construction continues on drive- thru and indoor cafes

Construction continues on drive-thru and indoor cafes

Jazzman’s Café will be returning in a new location with added features in June, but a new Student Engagement Center will be added sooner in February.

Jazzman’s Café will be located near Gouaux Hall and construction will begin immediately, executive director of auxiliary services Brenda Haskins said.

Construction for the café, previously housed in the Student Union, is funded by Sodexo Food Services, Haskins said. The project will cost about $500,000.

A larger variety of coffee and food items will be available than was previously at the Student Union location, Haskins said. Menu items will include a hot and cold drinks, pastries and paninis. Fresh beignets will also be served along with other grab-and-go items. All products will be available inside the café and through a drive-thru service.

The new location will offer a contemporary atmosphere, Haskins said, with indoor and outdoor seating as well as TVs.

The Student Engagement Center, which will be located between Beauregard Hall and Peltier Hall, will offer a variety of food and beverage items as well.

Haskins said the center will be an off-shoot of Aspretto Café, located in the outside hall between Powell Hall and White Hall, in that it will offer similar options such as sandwiches and salads. However, it will not be an exact imitation.

“We’re going to offer some different things there so that it does not look exactly like the one at the business building,” Haskins said.

Equipment for the center is already in, Haskins said, and the finishing touches and inspections are currently being taken care of.

The opening of the center is slated for the first week of February.