Public forum held for Nicholls communty input on presidential selection process

Yesterday, at 3p.m. in Powell Auditorium, a public forum was held to allow faculty, staff, students and community members to express their comments and concerns about what they hope for in a new university president.
Marilyn Kilgen, department head of biological sciences, spoke at length on her views of the qualities a university president should possess. She gave specific hopes for her department, as well as the university as a whole.
“A university president should have current experience in a high administrative academic level in higher education, and should have the ability to secure full academic, political and financial support from state universities,” she said.
She also stated the importance of developing strong research programs within the University, and development of additional graduate programs. Other faculty and staff members reiterated most of these sentiments later.
Several students addressed concerns they have about the new university president, ranging from racial/ethnic diversity to hopes of finding a president as student-oriented as current president Donald Ayo has been.
John Lajaunie, associate professor of economics and finance, also issued a statement that recurred throughout the forum.
“I think, first and foremost, that it is important that we have a leader, not just an administrator,” he said.
Several key community leaders were present to lend their hopes and suggestions to the forum. Mayor Charles Caillouet stressed the importance of athletics in gaining community support for the University, and as an attraction to integrate commuter students more firmly into the campus.
Louisiana Representative Warren Triche was also present, and said that an important quality a presidential candidate should possess is financial experience.
“I would ask that the committee really focus on someone who has handled large sums of money, because they will need to understand how to distribute funds coming from the state,” he said.
Glenn Antizzo, assistant professor of history and social sciences, also stressed the importance of money, though in a different context. He said additional money is needed for research, program expansion and travel funds. Hiring additional faculty is also a concern of his.
“You are looking at one half of the government faculty,” he said.
“I cover everything outside this nation, and some things within. We could definitely use additional instructors.”
This committee is using an open selection process in which outside input will be an important factor. All committee meetings will be open to the public. Sally Clausen, president of the University of Louisiana System, said this open process was very successful in the recent selection of a president for the University of Louisiana at Monroe.
Committee member Jessica Clarke, student ULS board member from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, also thinks this process works well, and feels that the search committee is very in-tune with student needs and concerns.
ULS Chairman Gordon Pugh closed out the forum by urging everyone present to keep up with the committee’s progress.
“Be active participants in this process, observe the people you are considering, and make your views known,” he said.
He then informed the audience to especially keep in mind the meetings on March 19 and April 18, where audience members will be able to interview semifinalists and finalists, respectively.