Local indie rock band to perform at Crawfish Day 2012

From left, Caleb White, social studies education senior from Bourg, Beth Detiveaux, band vocalist, Kenneth Kreamer, general studies junior from Houma, and Jacob Williams, English junior from Bourg, members of indie rock band Autumn High, hang out in front of the Union Monday, April 16.

As a part of Crawfish Day 2012, held by the Student Programming Association, local rock band Autumn High will take to the stage at 12:35 p.m. on April 26 near John L. Guidry Stadium.

The four-piece indie rock band from Houma is made up of guitarist/vocalist Kenny Kreamer, general studies senior from Houma; bassist Jacob Williams, English junior from Bourg; drummer Caleb White, social studies education senior from Bourg; and vocalist Beth Detiveaux.

Autumn High has been playing music since 2009 and has played shows across Louisiana over the past three years. The band has one release, an extended play called “Tabula Rasa,” that is available by disk and on iTunes.

Kreamer and White met between classes to talk about the band’s start and where they are now.

Q: What is the story behind the name “Autumn High?”

Kreamer: The general reason behind it is because autumn is when you go back to school. Instead of drugs and stuff, you get a natural high from just seeing all of your friends again. I personally like the season itself because of all the leaves changing. I think it’s beautiful.

Q: How long have you guys been playing music?

Kreamer: Well, [White] and I are cousins, so we have been playing music since we were about 12 years old.

Q: How did it all come about? Did you just decide to make a band one day?

Kreamer: We have always had the idea of having a band in mind. Originally we were in a couple of bands, but then we sort of moved around and shifted until we found what instruments we should be on.

Q: Where have you guys played?

White: We play a lot in Lafayette and New Orleans, but we have only played in Thibodaux like once at The Library.

Kreamer: We play mostly around Houma in little bars and for Houmapalooza.

Q: What is the usual crowd turnout for a show?

White: We usually have about 40 or 50 people at a show.

Kreamer: It usually depends on where we are or if there is a football game that night [laughs].

Q: What kind of feedback have you gotten from family, friends and fans?

Kreamer: Obviously our friends and family have to like us [laughs], but it is really cool to have strangers come up to us and say that they enjoyed our show.

Q: What is the craziest story that you have had from a show?

Kreamer: We had a show at an art gallery once, and this guy had a RipStik. I was riding it before the show, and I had a can of beer in one hand and a bottle in the other, and I fell while trying to ride off a curb. The can flew out of my hand with no problem, but the bottle shattered and sliced my thumb open. We just wrapped it up and played the show, and after our set, I went to the hospital and got stitches.

White: After he came back from the hospital, we actually played another song with his thumb stitched and wrapped up.

Q: How did you guys get on the bill for this year’s Crawfish Day?

White: I think that SPA did a thing where they were looking for local bands, and someone mentioned us. Someone from SPA emailed us after that and asked us if we wanted to play.

Kreamer: It was really cool because last year for Crawfish Day, [White] said, ‘We have to play this next year,’ and I was just like, ‘I’m not sure how that will happen.’

Q: What does it mean to be able to play at a school event?

White: I think it is really cool because they are taking into account people who actually come to Nicholls and local music instead of flying somebody out from Nashville or something. I think it is really cool because people may recognize you from class or something.

Kreamer: It is really cool because yesterday someone came up to me and said, ‘Hey, aren’t you in that band Autumn something?’ It is great to have people that we know to come and see us.