Student Nightlife

Dancing, laughter, smoke-filled rooms, music blaring, pool tables and drink specials are all part of the atmosphere that college students seek out at night to let loose and take a break from school.
The Thibodaux-Houma area offers students many nightclubs, bars, pool halls and other places to enjoy a night out on the town with friends.
“My favorite places to go are Norm’s and The Library, but I will pretty much be where the parties are,” Courtney Ponson, marketing senior from Harvey, said.
Norm’s Daiquiris and Grill is usually a starting off point for people who plan to go party in downtown Thibodaux. People go to Norm’s to chill out, eat and play pool from 8:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Norm’s also has Monday night football, party pack drawings, drink specials on daiquiris Sunday through Thursday and karaoke on Saturday nights.
Rox’s Bar attracts mostly a Greek crowd and E.D. White alumni. Rox’s has a unique type of music that all the regulars know and a lot of import beers that are hard to find anywhere else. On football nights if the Colonels are winning, shots of Kamikaze will be poured into the mouths of guests who are wearing bracelets.
On Thursday nights, The Last Call is the place to be because of the Throw Down nights. On the weekends, the club varies between D.J. nights and live bands. One of the most popular bands to play at The Last Call is Chee Weez. The Last Call has mostly a college dance hall atmosphere and has many holiday specials such as the Halloween costume contest.
“My favorite place to go out at is The Library because you get to know a lot more people and talk to all the pretty girls,” Kip Butcher, freshman from Houma, said.
One of the biggest college spots to party at is The Library. On Thursday nights there is only a $3 cover with $1 well drinks. Friday night is ladies night, which means ladies 21 and older get five free drinks.
In the future, The Library will introduce a Monday night football sports talk show which will consist of free food, drink specials and party pack give-aways.
“The Library is basically the place to be because it has a college atmosphere. Most of the people employed here are Nicholls students. It is the place to party with your friends from school, and especially for freshmen, it is a good place to meet new people,” Randy Dial, manager of The Library, said.
After all the bars and clubs close, people crowd into Peppers for good food and fun. However Pepper’s offers many specials such as buy one slice of pizza and a fountain drink and get another slice for free. From 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. $1 pints and $1 bread sticks are available. Most people head to Pepper’s after hitting the bars and clubs to sober up after a long night of partying.
However, Thibodaux is not the only area Nicholls students go to party. Many places in Houma are filled with students looking to enjoy the night life. On Monday nights High Tides is the place to be; on Tuesday’s people head to Uptown’s; on Wednesday the Sixth Floor is crowded; on the weekends Networks and The Brick House draw in a crowd.
“On Wednesday nights I go to The Library to hear the live bands, on Thursday nights I go to The Last Call because the finest girls will be there, on Friday nights I go to High Tides for $1 beer, on Saturday nights I hit the Six Floor with my friends and on Sunday I go to church and repent of all my sins,” Matthew Dupre, freshman from Houma, said.
High Tides has no cover charge and is the place to start the night off in Houma. Monday and Friday are $1 beer nights, Ladies night is Wednesday and Saturday and men drink free on Tuesday nights. There are other drink specials all week long. Pool league is Monday through Thursday and there are video poker machines, foosball tables and dart machines.
Uptown’s is another good place to hang out with friends, play pool and not have to pay a cover charge. On Monday there are 2 for 1 well drinks, Tuesday and Saturday nights there is $1 domestic beer, Wednesday is ladies night, Thursday night is 2 for 1 daiquiris, Friday night is $3 an hour to rent a pool table and on Sundays there are $1.75 imports.
The Sixth Floor attracts an older crowd and hosts karaoke nights Tuesday through Saturday. The employees of The Sixth Floor will even call a cab for people who have been drinking too much and need an alternative ride home.
“We have a good, clean atmosphere, we rarely have any trouble, provide our guests with good quality entertainment and take care of our customers,” Alana Chauvin, bar tender for The Sixth Floor, said.
Networks, the newly opened night club located in the building formally known as the Abyss, hosts fun parties on the first Friday night of the month, has amateur fight nights and ladies pay no cover on weekends. Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays are ladies nights and Saturdays are beat the clock night which starts at 8:oo p.m. Drinks start at 50 cents and go up a quarter every half hour. Networks is the place to go out to dance and will soon be getting concerts.
The Brick House is located in downtown Houma, has live bands and only charges a cover charge on Fridays and Saturdays. Monday night football offers people free food; beer specials and the bayou bikini babes are also there to entertain the guests. Female oil wrestling takes place on Wednesday, and Monday through Friday from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. There is $1 domestic beer, $2 imports, 2 for 1 mixed drinks and 3 for 2 well drinks.
Whether you prefer to go out in Thibodaux or Houma, there are an ample amount of spots to hit for a night of fun. There is everything from the dance hall atmospheres of The Last Call and Networks to the laid back attitude of High Tides. There is also UpTown’s, the familiar atmosphere of Rox’s, the more mature atmosphere of The Sixth Floor and The Brick House, the college atmosphere of The Library, the starting out place at Norm’s and the end of the night spot at Pepper’s.