Ayo, Hulbert prepare for transition on July 1

Donald Ayo, University president, and Stephen Hulbert, current University of Montana-Western chancellor, have spent the last months preparing for the July 1st transition as Ayo retires after 44 years of service to the University, and as Hulbert succeeds him as the fourth Nicholls president.
Hulbert and his wife Rebecca already left their residence in Dillon, Mont., and are traveling before their arrival in Thibodaux, which will be Saturday. Before his first official day on July 1, they will be residing in the alumni house.
Ayo will be moving out of his home by today and will be leaving the University on Friday unless there is something he needs to finish up on Monday, his last official day in office.
Ayo and his administration have also been spending the last few weeks trying to finish the budget before Hulbert’s arrival and ensuring that renovations and painting are completed in the president’s home.
“It’s been a wonderful journey and a privilege to serve as president of Nicholls State,” Ayo said. “We have the best student body in the state.”
Professors, family, friends, staff members and business leaders honored Ayo at a farewell dinner June 17,2003. The event, which cost attendants $125 to $250 a seat, raised funds in efforts of purchasing Ayo a retirement gift with the money left after dinner and related events expenses.
“I was very humbled. It was a wonderful event and certainly my family and I appreciate what my friends did for me,” Ayo said.
The Board of Supervisors gave the final approval of,the event after several questions were raised over whether accepting an expensive retirement gift would break the Louisiana Ethics Code.
“There’s no gift that can be given because that would be a violation of the code of ethics, but they can give someone a supplementary contract for a given amount,” Ayo said. “However, I think one of the nicest things that was given to me were some of the scholarships that were given in my honor.”
The amount of the supplementary contract has not yet been announced.
For now, Ayo said he plans to remain in Thibodaux while considering his options for the future. Previously, Ayo had mentioned possible plans to write a book on the experiences of his administration and he acknowledged that he is still considering that project.
“I think Dr. Delahaye is doing a book on the Ayo years, so that may preempt it (the book). I may take it more from a fictional standpoint,” Ayo said.
Ayo said interaction with the Nicholls community and commencement will be what he will miss most about his job.
“I will certainly miss the interaction with students, faculty and staff, with supporters and with all the people who have been most supportive of Nicholls State,” Ayo said.
“I certainly will miss commencement as well, because I think it is such a joyous occasion where you see the students accomplishing their goals and their parents and loved ones celebrating with them.”
Ayo said Hulbert has asked him for help, especially with meeting people in the area, and he certainly will help in any way he can during the transition period. He said his amount of involvement in the University will be Hulbert’s decision.
For now, Ayo reflects on his years in administration and his accomplishments.
“A lot of times people ask if there’s anything I regret. It would have been nice to be able to spend more time with my family but this is a consuming, full time job, and that was a sacrifice they were willing to make so that I could accomplish what I did for the University.”
“The students have been very supportive of my administration and things we tried to accomplish for the University, especially the 100 percent national accreditation, fundraising efforts and satisfaction rates,” Ayo said. “I would only hope that the students support Dr. Hulbert in the same manner that they’ve been so generous in supporting my efforts.”
Hulbert said he is looking forward to getting on campus and working with faculty, staff and students.
“My first activities as president will be discussions starting with Alice Pecoraro, vice president of academic affairs, since she will be retiring at the end of July. I am interested in becoming well acquainted with her and the issues in academic affairs that are important to her,” Hulbert said.
Hulbert said they will discuss an interim vice presidency and the process for finding a replacement for her position. He said he is deeply interested in the appointment and will take an active part and responsibility in recruiting and appointing a replacement.
When asked if he had any plans for finding a new University police director, Hulbert said he was not aware of the resignation of the current University police director, Grady Morris.
“I will receive briefings from the vice presidents once I arrive on topics that need attention. I also plan on meeting with academic leadership, the past and present chair of the faculty senate and student leadership,” Hulbert said.
Hulbert plans to actively get out on the University campus, meet with the Nicholls Foundation leadership and meet with government, education and public leaders in the Thibodaux/Houma area.
Hulbert’s last trip to Louisiana was from May 27-June 1, which coincided with the University of Louisiana System’s Board of Supervisors meeting in Baton Rouge.
“I was able to meet Donald Ayo and some of Nicholls’ vice presidents at the meeting, and I was able to have dinner with Ayo. We discussed transition topics, and I look forward to continuing those discussions,” Hulbert said.
“Dr. Ayo has offered me assistance in any way, and I look forward to continuing our relationship in the next few months and over the years. He cares so deeply about the institution and the Thibodaux/Houma area.”
Hulbert said the strengths of Nicholls’ academic programs and its faculty was what attracted him to the University. He said the challenge will be the transition in terms of admissions standards. In 2005, Nicholls will go from open to selective admissions policies and Hulbert plans to involve all leadership “in order to secure a successful transition.”
Hulbert said the faculty and staff involved in the search know a lot about him, but from that process they can only get to know an individual on the surface.
“I want the students, faculty and staff to know that I am excited about the opportunity to come and work with them. Nicholls is a young university, but it is well matured and has a well-respected reputation. I hope they will take the opportunity to introduce themselves to me when they see me around campus,” Hulbert said.