Nicholls mourns loss of retired professor

Harry Maxwell Quertermous, 78, former Nicholls professor and English department head, died Wednesday, May 28. According to his past students and fellow colleagues, Quertermous left a strong impression on the university and all those he came in contact with.
“He was certainly one of the most admired and respected professors in the history of Nicholls because of his talent, intelligence and versatility,” Alfred Delahaye, professor emeritus of journalism, said.
The Marianna, Ark. native began his career at Nicholls as an associate English professor in the summer of 1958. He retired in 1979 after teaching everything from remedial English courses to Shakespeare to philosophy and humanities for 21 years.
“He was a teacher who brought literature alive to his students,” Carol Boudreaux, a Nicholls graduate who took several of Quertermous’s English classes, said. “The love of what he was doing was so obvious and that inspired us.”
Quertermous was director of Graduate Studies as well as an involved staff member in the Talented and Gifted children’s summer program pilot.
As a result of meritorious service, he became one of the first Nicholls’s retirees to receive the status of emeritus, which signifies retirement with honor. He became the fourth Nicholls professor to be recognized as an Alcee Fortier professor due to his excellence in teaching, researching and participating in professional activities.
“Anybody who was an English major at the time Quertermous was there thought of him when they thought of the English department,” Claire Domangue Joller, a 1967 graduate and former student of Quertermous, said. “Quertermous was obviously brilliant, which a lot of times comes with arrogance, but he certainly did not have that quality. He was gentle, kind, always approachable and not intimidating to students.”
Quertermous brought many other talents besides his gift of teaching to his professional and personal life.
“He was a pianist, poet, writer, actor, linguist who had mastered about five languages, gifted lecturer and director,” Delahaye said. “He wrote a trilogy of Cajun plays all of which were produced at Nicholls.”
Quertermous made use of his talents by using them to liven up and enrich his classes.
Boudreaux said, “He used his ability to read and communicate so well as part of his background for teaching. He had charisma for being in front of an audience.”
“When he read us passages from plays, he acted out the parts and would take on various roles. He had a wonderful speaking voice and that was an inspiration to us. Many of us (his students) even went on to become English teachers.”
Donald Ayo, University president, said, “He (Quertermous) was a wonderful role model for a lot of younger professors and had a tremendous love for his students. He presented lectures in an exciting and dramatic way and was the perfect example of how exciting learning literature can be.”
When Joller found out that Quertermous was legally blind,she offered to read to him varied material of his choice.
Joller spent the last three years of Quertermous’s life reading to him in weekly session. Joller said she called to thank him because as a columnist she felt equipped to do her job and enjoyed doing it due to a lot of what Quertermous had taught her.
“He was not only interested in the arts branch of learning but was also extremely interested in science and math. His apartment was filled with books,” Joller said.
“It was a pleasure to read to him because he was so learned and familiar with so many things that he expanded on what I read to him. I was still learning from him.”
“It was a wonderful opportunity for him, but it was a wonderful opportunity for me as well.