Campus Briefs

NSU observes “Take Your Dog to Work Day” tomorrow

The University will observe nationwide “Take Your Dog to Work Day” tomorrow to celebrate canine companionship and encourage dog adoptions from humane societies, animal shelters and breed rescue clubs.

Festivities will begin at 9 a.m. in the quadrangle, where visiting dogs will be able to get their pictures taken with Colonel Tillou. A Nicholls Spirit competition will be held at 9:30 a.m., during which the most spirited dog sporting the University colors will be selected. The Student Programming Association tent will be set up from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. to provide shade. Petco will provide dog owners with bags for cleanup at the event, and adoptable dogs from HOPE for Animals will be visiting.

Upcoming special event parking closures

June 23: 150 spaces will be blocked off in the lot next to Ellender Memorial Library from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for new student orientation.

June 23, 28, 30 and July 5,7: four spaces on Madewood Drive by Peltier Hall will be blocked off from 8:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. as a loading and unloading zone for Pee Wee Camp.

July 6: 100 spaces will be blocked off in the lot next to Ellender Memorial Library from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. for new student orientation.

SGA offers free attorney consultations

Attorney Andrew Wise will be available today from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Student Government Association Office to provide legal advice and notary services to University students free of charge.

Nicholls Performing Arts Camp presents Mulan JR.

Fifty-six local girls and boys, ages six through 17, will perform in Nicholls State University Performing Arts Camp’s production of Mulan JR. at 7 p.m. Friday, June 24; Saturday, June 25; and 2 p.m. Sunday, June 26, in Talbot Theater.

The 77-minute family-friendly performance is a culmination of 19 days of theater instruction and rehearsal. Tickets are $8 and can be purchased at the door.

Parking permits for 2011-2012 school year distributed

New parking permits for the upcoming school year are being distributed at this time.

Old permits are valid through July 31, 2011 and should not be replaced until the new permits become valid on August 1, 2011. Anyone who has already replaced his or her current permit should see University Police to get a temporary permit.

To apply online for a parking permit for the upcoming school year, visit www.nicholls.edu/parking, click “Parking Permits,” and then click “Parking Permit Application Form.”