Local musician goes on national tour

From local bars to Las Vegas, Houma musician, Joe Stark, will soon travel all over the nation. Many Nicholls students may have seen him at many night spots in Houma or Thibodaux, but Stark will soon be performing for a new audience.

The 18-year-old will be the opening act for Styxx, Bad Company and Billy Squire on a tour that will travel to more than 40 cities all over the United States.

But the tour has not started yet, and Stark still finds the whole thing amazing.

“Right now, I’m kind of just in disbelief that it’s going on. I’ll be playing in huge amphitheaters that house thousands of people. I’ve never even been in an amphitheater before,” he said.

Stark’s experience includes playing for musical legends like Peter Frampton, Joe Walsh and Eddie Money. But Stark does not allow the big names to alter his love of the music he plays.

Regardless of the size of the crowd, the passion to play his music overtakes other aspects of life.

“When 10 o’clock rolls around, and you go on stage, the world’s all better for a few hours. It’s like a drug. You just keep wanting more. One hit is never enough.”

But the world of music involves more than just the euphoric experience of playing an instrument and singing.

“In the last year, I’ve worried a lot about writing songs, making records and playing enough gigs to have enough money so that my band members don’t have to have day jobs,” he said.

Stark’s third CD, entitled “Joe Stark,” has 12 songs, all written or co-written by Stark. Stark plays guitar and sings the vocals on each track.

“My music is primarily roots and rock,” Stark said. “It’s comparable to anything from Black Crows to Lenny Kravitz.”

Although the CD is his third release, it is his first nationally released CD.

“Playing a lot is the best part about playing music,” he said. “I love being in the studio. I love playing live, and I love writing songs. The whole process is very intriguing.”

Stark uses different methods to write songs. Sometimes he creates a title and starts from there.

“We wrote one song called `As If,'” he said. “We just knew that the chorus would say as if. That’s how we started it.”

Stark also writes songs according to his mood at the moment.

“If I’m sad, I write a sad song. If I’m happy, I write a happy song. The same goes with love or anger. There are so many ways to write songs. I like all of them.”

Stark assembled a 4-piece band to play with him as he tours, selecting capable musicians who would be free to travel with him.

Although Stark does not consider himself a role model or someone other people will look up to, his biggest concern is for the audience’s happiness.

“I just want to get up there and make sure that everybody’s having fun. That’s what it’s about. I just like to play my songs.”