School bullying needs more attention from education administrators

I am writing to address the subject of bullying in our schools.

We live in a fast-paced world where parents are too busy to teach morals and limits to their children.

I wrapped up my public school career a few years back. The vast majority of my 12 years in the system was spent being bullied and tortured. I had hoped that school could be a respite from a hellish home life, but it was not.

I was suspended several times for fighting back, and I even wrote a personal plea to my school principal for help but to no avail. They got off scot-free.

By my sophomore year, I had put my former bullies in their place, but now I suffer mental illness and physical disability. But I am lucky, I had constituents that committed suicide.

It’s a nationwide epidemic.

The rate of plastic surgeries has risen some 30 percent since the last decade among children and teens. A lot of that is due to bullying.

The zero tolerance policy has existed in our schools since I can remember, but what is the result? Children get both arrested and blamed for violence. What must one do to stay out of trouble? Not put up a defense? It is as if the educational system is breeding the new generation into a bunch of cattle.

Violence is not a resort at all for many victims, but it is the first resort of many bullies. If you cannot protect yourself, who will?

These administrators who buy time until retirement need to be sacked. This is why we have so much gun violence.

This is not statistics or propaganda. It’s common sense. It seems to be lacked very much.

Terril Hebert

History sophomore from Gray, La.