Coach Amo not reappointed

Agapius Amo, head cross country and track and field coach, will not be reappointed to his position next season according to Robert Bernardi, athletics director.Bernardi said the majority of coaches’ appointments are year to year and declined to comment on the reason for not rehiring Amo.

“With respect to personnel matters, it’s the University’s policy that we don’t comment,” he said.

Amo, who served as the coach for two years, said he was aware of complaints that had been brought up about his accent and coaching style from women on his team. Cross-country runner Cassie Jones, government graduate from Fort Wayne, Ind., denied to participate in his workouts and other student-athletes followed her lead, he said.

“My workout was too hard maybe, but she was my No. 1 runner,” Amo said. “I just wanted her to perform well. I dismissed her from the team but let her keep her scholarship.”

Jones said she has nothing personal against Amo but was concerned that his hands were full trying to lead the cross country and track and field teams. She said she discussed her concerns with the athletic administration but nothing was done to remedy the situation.

“Amo couldn’t get everything ready for the meets and a lot fell on me,” she said. “You can’t be the coach and athlete. But, I’m most disappointed with the athletic administration. I handled the situation in a mature, adult fashion, but I don’t believe track and field is one of their priorities.”

Nicole Triche, cross country freshman from Raceland, said Amo was put in an almost impossible situation.

“He was a great person, who I’ve never seen even mad before,” Triche said. “But most track programs have assistant coaches. The track program is so broad. Amo knew a lot about distance, but some people, such as Allison Zeringue (high jumper) didn’t have a coach, so the team didn’t have enough motivation.”

Amo represented Tanzania, his native country, at the 1984 Olympic Games, finishing 21st in the marathon.

Triche said it was a sad situation when runners stopped participating in Amo’s practices and that there was not much team unity.

Jones said, “We knew that Amo had knowledge of what to do. He has been running for years. But we didn’t trust him because of the pressures that were put on him. We felt like his judgment was impaired by that stress.”

Amo said he didn’t experience any problems in his first year. “Athletes like me, and the community likes me,” he said. “But when not renewing a contract they don’t even have to give you a reason.”

Amo said there were concerns brought up about his accent and communication skills but said several athletes went to the administration to say they understood him. “I typed up our workouts and posted them so that everything could be clear,” he said. “I don’t believe I should have been judged by one’s person’s opinion that my accent cannot be understood.”

Both Jones and Triche said the team had problems relating to Amo at times because of his accent.

“I had a hard time understanding him when I first got here but it got better,” Triche said. “Sometimes he’d say things, and we just misinterpreted what he meant.”

Jones and Triche also said it will take a special person to fill Amo’s shoes as coach.