Buying the books, finding the classes

The first week of school is almost over, and I’m starting to get back into the rhythm of things. I think. It was definitely a rough and bumpy trip to get there, though.

If school was as simple as just going to class, I could probably handle that. No problems there.

The problems begin with classes like the ones in Beauregard Hall. I still don’t understand why the classroom numbers skip from 235 to 247 to 216.

It’s like someone played musical classrooms with the room numbers.

Maybe part of the educational experience is supposed to be finding the classroom. I’m not sure, but I know if I had to pass a class on finding rooms in Beauregard Hall, I would still be in remedials.

Enough about all of that. Once I finally accomplished the impossible mission of finding my classes, I had to take a trip to the bookstore.

I had considered boycotting the bookstore this semester to see if I could get through college without buying any more books. That plan was defeated when one of my professors informed me that he would politely ask me to leave the classroom if he discovered that I had failed to read that day’s assignment.

Of course, that class requires me to buy four books. Go figure.

Being the wise college student that I am, I figured I would buy my books later in the afternoon, when there are fewer people on campus.

Well, either I’m not as wise as I thought or there are a lot of really wise people on campus this semester. When I walked into the bookstore, the line stretched practically to the back wall.

Now, I know the bookstore is no longer owned by Nicholls. It’s owned by a company named Wallace’s. (I know this because after making a check out to Nicholls, I saw the enormously huge sign that said MAKE YOUR CHECKS PAYABLE TO WALLACE’S.)

Actually, I can’t even take credit for seeing that. My friend, Emily, had to point it out to me. Oh well. So goes life.

Anyway, I did a little bit of research about ol’ Wallace, and the only thing I could find on the Internet about Wallace was a website about a cartoon character named Wallace that lives on 62 West Wallaby St. who wears brown wool trousers, a green knitted sweater and red tie.

His favorite food is cheese, and his favorite expressions are “Chuck,” “Gromit,” and “help.”

I think this dude owns our book store. I don’t know, but I’m kind of scared.

Well, I finally got through the line at the bookstore after reading three of the four books I was buying. How’s that for a headstart on studying?

I guess I am now officially ready to plug into this semester. I know where my classes are – kind of – and the cost of books has given me the typical, poor college student image that every good college student should have.