Sororities, fraternities kick off annual Greek Week celebrations

Greek Week started on March 12 and will continue until March 17. According to Judy Daniels, dean of student life, the Greek Week is held each spring semester. Nicholls has been holding this tradition for more than 30 years.

“Greek Week gives the members of the sororities and fraternities an opportunity to celebrate their success and hard work,” Daniels said.

There are 14 chapters divided into the three different councils: Interfraternity Council (IFC), National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) and National Panhellic Council (NPC).

The Planning Committee and the Greeks put together the events for the Greek week. The events for this week included the Greek Sunday Mass, Greek God/Goddess elections, which started on March 14 and ended on March 15, and the IFC vs. NPHC basketball game on March 14; Penny Wars were on March 14 in the Bollinger Memorial Student Union from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Pirogue races were held on March 15 the bayou side, and a game of kickball will be today at 4 p.m. on the field next to the married dorms.

On Monday, March 13, the Greeks held their most recognizable event, the Songfest in the Peltier Auditorium.

The Greek Songfest showcases the fraternities’ and sororities’ talents through singing, performing skits and dancing.

Holding first place last year in this event for the National Panhellenic Council, the Phi Mu chapter has won again this year.

“We (Phi Mu) did the best we could, and I am proud that our members gave 110 percent,” Kristen Turnage, mass communication junior from New Orleans and president of the Phi Mu chapter, said.

Following the Phi Mu chapter, Delta Zeta won second and Sigma Sigma Sigma won third place.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon, winners from last year, won first place again this year, followed by the Tau Kappa Epsilon, second place, and Theta Xi, third place.

“We are glad because we put a lot of hard work and determination into our project,” Richard Abarr, secondary education sophomore and member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity from Slidell, said.

According to Daniels, the attendance of this event averages to about 800 people, including students, parents, etc.

“It gives them a time to showcase a talent that they didn’t even know they had,” Daniels said. The Mystery Game held on March 12 was won by the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity; Phi Mu won the Tug-O war and Sigma Sigma Sigma won the Egg Volley held on March 14. The winner for the Penny Wars game, however, was undecided as of press time.

The Greeks have decided to donate the proceeds from this event to the American Red Cross, primarily for the Hurricane Katrina victims.

The Greeks will end their week with a banquet on Friday, March 17 at 6 p.m. held in the Century Room.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council will have their Greek step show on Saturday, April 29.

“This is the last event we have planned, and it gives the (NPHC) maximum amount of time to practice,” Daniels said.