Decision 2003

Gubernatorial candidates vie for Louisiana’s top post

Last Thursday, the seven major gubernatorial candidates met in Dixon Hall at Tulane University to participate in a Louisiana Public Broadcasting debate to prepare viewers for Decision 2003.
One heated debate topic was attracting industries to Louisiana to keep younger generations in the state after they graduate from college.
Republican Bobby Jindal, former federal and state health official and former ULS president, said he wants to raise his daughter in Louisiana, but is worried.
“Too many people have to leave this state because they cannot find jobs here,” Jindal said. “I want to create opportunities for my daughter and all of your children.”
Jindal said Louisiana needs to cut taxes that stop small businesses from growing.
Former state Senate President Randy Ewing, a Democrat, said he believes Louisiana could create 200,000 new jobs despite the state average in the 1990s being 20,000 new jobs a year.
Ewing said he would create more jobs by first investing money in roads. “Every time you invest $1 billion in road construction, you’ve created 42,000 new jobs,” Ewing said.
He said he would then work with businesses presently located in Louisiana to see how their value, and overall business, can be increased, making Louisiana a “transportation hub.”
The low percentage of Louisiana’s minority-owned businesses in comparison with Louisiana’s 36 percent minority population and the trend of struggling small businesses were also addressed by the candidates.
Former Congressman Buddy Leach, a Democrat, said if elected as governor, he will continuously search out ways to make it easier for minorities to open businesses and thinks the state should encourage the formation of small businesses. Leach did not elaborate on the issue due to time limits.
Rep. Hunt Downer, a Republican, said training and educational opportunities should be provided to everyone.
“To those individuals who are at risk, you reach out — you give them a helping hand up instead of a handout,” Downer said. “You give them assistance, you give them mentorship…you give everyone an opportunity.”
Democrat Attorney General Richard Ieyoub said small businesses need venture capital, which is funds available for startup firms and small businesses exhibiting potential growth.
“We want to make sure we can help small businesses get the venture capital they need in order to thrive,” Ieyoub said. “The Department of Labor also needs to keep a close watch on whether minorities are given an equal opportunity and a level playing field.”
Lt. Gov. Kathleen Blanco, a Democrat, said small businesses need support because they already start at a disadvantage.
“They (small businesses) need access to capital, training and someone to guide them through the regulatory phase,” Blanco said. “We need to find a way to connect (small businesses) to their market place.”
Blanco said she knows the people of Louisiana want opportunities for their families.
” Three of my six children had to leave Louisiana to search for work over the last several years,” Blanco said. “I’m fortunate that two are home now, but I know that you want your children to come home too. And, I’m going to create the opportunity for them to come home.”
Since the debate, Jay Blossman, a Republican and Public Service Commission chairman, dropped out of the race giving his support to Downer.
Elections to replace Gov. Mike Foster will be Saturday.