Sodexho searches for new general manager

Nicholls and its food service provider, Sodexho, are currently interviewing candidates for the campus Sodexho general manager position, following the departure of the previous general manager Paul Beier.Brenda Haskins, director of auxiliary services, said she was surprised when Beier left the Sodexho Company in May, after being at Nicholls for over two years, to further his career. Sodexho then appointed Tafadzwa Nhiri, operations manager at Xavier, as the interim general manager at Nicholls.

Though the general manager is a Sodexho employee, Haskins said because the position is so vital, the University has input in the selection process. Candidates go through a three-interview process with Haskins, a university committee of five faculty and staff members and two students, and University President Stephen Hulbert and his wife Rebecca Hulbert.

“I want someone who’s visible, who will take pride in (his) unit and provide the best food services possible,” Haskins said.

Suggestions will then be made to John Monica, Sodexho district manager, who will make the final decision. Haskins said Monica hopes to have a general manager at the University by mid-July to prepare for the start of the fall semester.

Two candidates were interviewed last week, and the committee planned to interview two more this week. Nhiri is one of the candidates.

The general manager oversees all areas of food service at Nicholls including the cafeteria, catering, cash operations in the Union and concessions. The manager also ensures that the services are financially sound and that all health codes are being followed as well as serving as an ambassador with the University and Sodexho.

“We are looking for a candidate who would be student-oriented and customer-driven as well as someone who has experience in college food service,” Haskins said.

Haskins said because of the planned renovations to the cafeteria, she is interested in searching for someone who brings renovation experience as well.

The University is in its 11th year of contracting with Sodexho for its food services and one year into a new 10-year contract.