Well-rounded students adapt best

Graduates with open minds may obtain dream job first

The real world may not be as expected after one graduates from college.  More often than not, the dream job students had been hoping for is not necessarily the first step, or even the second or third.  When that first job requires certain skills, recent college graduates who are more well-rounded will be more hirable and might have an easier time meeting demands at work.
There is a divide between those who think students should be very focused on their specific major and those who think a well-rounded education is ideal and practical.  Many students tend to disregard general education courses because they do not pertain to their particular majors, often preferring simply passing a class over learning something new or gaining a new perspective.  While specializing in one’s own major is critical, keeping an open mind to other subjects and ideas helps to prepare one for a diverse job market.  A perceptive graduate is easily more marketable than one who studied narrow-mindedly.
College graduates should be prepared to present themselves as something more than simply a college graduate.  In today’s competitive professional world, recent graduates may often start at the bottom, or even in an unexpected position.  They may be asked to work odd hours, or to use computers effectively, write coherently, or speak to an audience–skills that are not necessarily a focus of all degree programs.  
Perhaps the lack of skill integration is a direct product of the university system, where the lessons learned in earlier general education courses are not always relevant later in one’s studies.  Requirements regarding things like public speaking and computer literacy should be maintained in all degree programs to prepare students for an evolving world.  Graduates should be excellent products of their degree programs, but also adaptable individuals who are ready to take on whatever may be asked of them along the way in a career path.
If what is often said is true, that universities are transitioning into a more job-oriented market and that the more practical majors are flourishing, students will become more expectant of easy job prospects after graduating.  As a more technology-oriented generation, we tend to expect instant results or quick payoffs, neither of which are guaranteed or even likely after college.  Learning early to adapt beyond one’s own expertise can give a college graduate an edge when trying to succeed after school.
All points aside, college students most importantly need to remember to make the experience the best it can possibly be.  Becoming a diverse and dynamic person is what a good education is all about.  What a college graduate gets out of the experience is reflective of what they have put in.  Those who expect college to be a fast track to a magical, job-creating piece of paper will find themselves in a bind early on in the real world.  Those who evolve as a result of a hard-earned education will be better prepared to achieve their ultimate goal.