Letter to the Editor

Students should be aware while crossing streets

In this age of technology we find ourselves engulfed in the oh-so-cool gadgets in our hands, in our ears, or attached to our hips. However, when this forward-moving world of gizmos causes a lapse in good judgment, I must pause to reflect.
On many occasions in recent days, I have seen an influx of young men and women talking, texting, listening, and other things on their hip wireless devices. While I am a proponent for technological advancement, I am also concerned with the level of cognitive decisions made by those with such multimedia tools.  I implore all humanity to please look up before you dart out on foot into the streets. While the crosswalks are designed for the convenience of pedal movement, it is not an impenetrable force field that warrants no caution. I take my time, as some may not, navigating the many one-way streets on the Nicholls State campus; many times I see folks just walk out into a line of moving traffic, never even looking up to see if they will be the demise of the fateful front end of an automobile.
The gist of the story is simple. While that text message from your BFF may be of the utmost importance to the very being of your existence, or posting a status about your so-called best friend, your safety and ultimately your life, is much more valuable. Take the time to look before you cross the street. It is, after all, a fundamental lesson we should have been taught early on in childhood. Please take caution in this hectic and super fast-paced world; just think, you may live to tweet about it!

Bryan P. Scott
Education Senior
Schriever