Freshman walk-on puts in work

Photo by: Lisa Neal
Freshman guard Ashley Adams dribbles past a Bethune-Cookman College player during the Dec. 15 game.

Freshman Ashley Adams is no stranger to dedicating her time and efforts into furthering her skills as a standout athlete. As a four-year letterman of the E.D. White Lady Cardinals basketball team, Adams’ dedication to her sport garnished her honors of All-District First Team as well as All-Region Second Team. She was able to receive both honors twice throughout her high school basketball career.

“I’m proud of my accomplishments, and I’m very happy that I was able to bring attention to the E.D. White lady basketball program,” Adams said.

As a senior standout basketball player at her high school, it would have been acceptable to label Adams as a “big fish in a small pond,” but she never placed her dreams of becoming successful before winning with her team.

“I’m definitely team-oriented, and I was always looking for an assist before scoring a point,” Adams said.

Adams’ optimistic and team-oriented attitude would come to benefit her upon completion of her high school career.

With a limited supply of scholarships available, the Nicholls State University Athletic Department was not able to award Adams a position on the Colonels basketball team as a scholarship athlete. While other athletes may have grown discouraged by that information, Adams took that to mean that she had to make her decision on where she wanted to continue her basketball career, and more importantly, her educational learning.

After contemplating where she would spend the next four years or more of her life, Adams, being a local product of Thibodaux, chose to attend Nicholls. With this decision, Adams traded her “big fish in a small pond” label for the less impressive “small fish in a big pond.” Nevertheless, the same dedication she possessed as a standout high school athlete remained within.

Adams was determined to earn a spot on the Colonels basketball team.

“I’ve always wanted to play college basketball. It’s been a dream of mine since I was young,” Adams said.

The thought of not continuing her basketball career at the collegiate level never crossed her mind, and she was able to earn her spot on the roster as a walk-on athlete.

“Scholarship or not, I was still going to come to Nicholls and work hard,” Adams said.

Although some athletes are given the opportunity to play right away, Adams is well aware that when her number is called and it is time for her to step foot on the court, the time and effort she has put into her skills will make each moment even sweeter.

“I don’t get much playing time now, but it feels so rewarding to get even one minute on the court,” Adams said.

“My voice is always hoarse because I’m always screaming loud and supporting my teammates,” Adams said.

Until she is given steady minutes in the lineup, Adams will continue to support her team in any way she can.