Letter to the Editor

Cooling tower replacement will affect parking

The planned replacement of the cooling tower between Peltier and Beauregard Halls will be completed in a two-phase process, with the first phase taking place this Friday, Oct. 11.  
In order to accomplish this, it will be necessary to restrict parking near the area and to close Madewood Dr. to vehicular traffic, starting at the intersection of Ellendale (street between cafeteria and Peltier Hall) and Madewood.  The street closure will begin at noon and last the rest of the day.  
Parking on both sides of the street, thirty feet south of the cooling tower, and fifty feet approximately north of the tower, will not be allowed starting at 6:00 a.m. Friday morning, with one exception.  Handicapped parking in this affected area on the east side of Madewood (closest to Peltier and Beauregard) will be allowed until 12 noon.  After this time, any vehicles remaining in the area will be towed away.  
Madewood north of this area will remain open, which will allow the use of Glenwood (street behind Candies, Elkins, and Picciola).  After noon, cars parked south of the tower will need to carefully back down Madewood in order to turn on Ellendale to exit the campus.  Please use extreme caution.
Some time after noon, a large crane will be brought to the site, along with a flat bed trailer.  The crane will lift the old tower from the mechanical yard up over the corner of Peltier Hall and place it on the flat bed.  
In the interest of safety, the hallways on both floors of Peltier in that corner will be closed, and the Dean’s Office will need to be vacated.  
Once the truck and old tower leave the area, the new cooling tower will be brought up from the back.  The crane will then lift the new tower in place.  
Once this is completed, the truck/trailer and crane will leave the area and the road will be re-opened,  probably late that evening.  
The new tower should be operational by Saturday.
The second phase, the removal of the rental tower from the street, will take place next Thursday, Oct. 17, during fall break.
 We will release more information on this next week.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause; your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Michael G. Davis

Assistant Vice President for Facilities