Chi Alpha offers free classes to Nicholls students

Chi Alpha campus pastor Chris Buckel leads the Discipleship by Design class on Tuesday in Babington Hall. Chi Alpha offers weekly free classes to students.

Chi Alpha, Nicholls’ campus ministry, is holding free classes about the Christian faith for students.

Foundations of the Faith, a course made up of two conjoined classes, will be taught by associate pastor Carly Guidry. The first part, Foundations, will provide participants basic understanding of Christianity, while the second, Freedoms, encourages students to apply knowledge learned in Foundations towards life and freedom from sin. Beginning today, these hour-long classes will be held on Thursdays at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m in 107 South Babington, which is where all Chi Alpha classes will be held.

The classes are open to students of all religious and non-religious backgrounds.

“You don’t have to be somebody who believes a certain belief,” Guidry said. “We’re looking for someone who wants to know more about Christianity and what the Bible says.”

The Foundations of the Faith classes build on each other, so attending classes regularly is encouraged.

Campus pastor Chris Buckel teaches Discipleship by Design, a class geared towards students with strong faiths looking to become spiritual leaders, on Tuesdays at 3 p.m. He also leads Spiritual Disciplines, a monthly class that focuses on a unique discipline, which will begin Feb. 11 at 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Students interested in attending the Chi Alpha classes are encouraged to contact the Chi Alpha office at (985) 493-2731, [email protected] or by dropping by 107 or 108 South Babington to sign up and receive details.

As a nonprofit organization, Chi Alpha keeps its classes and events free for students through fundraising and outside donations. Because the classes are not directly affiliated with the University, they can not be taken for academic credits.

Other events Chi Alpha organizes are Life Groups, which are student-led gatherings throughout the week.

“Life Groups are opportunities for people to come together with common interests and build friendships and also learning about God and the nature of truth,” Buckel said.

Chi Alpha also puts on Thursday Night Live, a weekly worship service that includes games and activities.

Official Chi Alpha membership is not required to participate in any of Chi Alpha’s events or classes. Students who participate are already considered members.

“We’re like a religious gumbo,” Buckel said. “Anybody of any faith can worship in our fellowship. It’s not about ‘we’re right and you’re wrong,’ it’s about exploring something.”

For more information on Chi Alpha, go to www.nsuxa.org.