Questions & Answers

Senior outfielder brings experience factor into new season
Senior outfielder Kasey Culverson waits for the ball during practice on Friday at the baseball field.

Senior baseball outfielder Kasey Culverson is one of seven Nicholls baseball seniors looking to finish out their final year on a strong note.

Culverson was part of the 2009-2010 team who finished Southland Conference play with a 15-win season and who gained a Southland Conference Tournament birth for the first time since 2000.

Culverson made 19 starts and saw action in 23 games for the Colonels and ended last season with a .281 batting average. He also recorded a career-high six-game hitting streak.

He is a junior college transfer from Alabama Southern Community College and has found his place at Nicholls with the help of a few teammates and friends.

“I had a lot of teammates that either were or here or were coming here. When I got the call from Coach Thibodeaux, my friends pushed me towards here and it seemed like a good place to go.”

Q. Why baseball?

A. “I grew up with it. My older brother and me would always go outside and play. It’s just something that we liked to do.”

Q. Who is your favorite Major League team?

A. “I would have to say the Atlanta Braves. They are right down the road from my house. I just kind of grew up with them.”

Q.  Where do you see yourself in five years?

A. “Hopefully doing some kind of athletic training or sports medicine.

Q.  If you were going to try out for American Idol, what song would you sing?

A. “Um (laughs), I’d probably have to sing…um. (turns to a coach and asks what song to sing…‘I Can’t Dance by Phil Collins.’) Yea, I would sing I Can’t Dance by Phil Collins. I would sing it because it seems easy and Rudy [Darrow, volunteer assistant coach] told me to sing it.”

Q. If you had a show about your life, what would it be about and who would play you?

A. “I guess it would be about me back home hunting, fishing and doing outdoor stuff. I grew up watching TK and Mike, and Scott Moseley and me always said we were going to make a show. I guess I would have to name it Outdoors with Mo and KC or something like that. I would want Jim Carey because people say I look like him.”

Q. How do you manage baseball and school work?

A. “Going through high school, junior college and now here, I’ve always had a busy schedule to go by so it was always pretty easy.”

Q. Who is your role model?

A. “My role model would have to David Justice because he’s an outfielder and he’s damn good at it.”

Q. Who do you look up to on the team?

A. “I’d have to say Scott Moseley. He’s always helped me with my hitting. He’s kept my mind focused.”

Q. Do you have any superstitions?

A. “If I put my right sock on first and I have a good game, I try to do the same routine. It’s something to get my mind off the bigger picture.”

Q. Do you have any pre-game rituals?

A. “Sometimes I listen to the same song, country music mostly.”

Q. What has been your most embarrassing moment on the field?

A. “Oh lord! Probably when we were taking in and out last year before a game. My cleat got caught in my shoelace and I fell head over heels.”

Q. What has been your most embarrassing moment off of the field?

A. “I don’t get embarrassed.”

Q. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would you have with you?

A. “I would take a fishing pole, Sports Illustrated magazine and my MP3 player.”

Q. What is one food you cannot live without and why?

A. “I guess pizza being as I’m in college.”