Colonels fill needs in 2011 recruiting class

Head football coach Charlie Stubbs holds a letterman jacket during the National Signing Day press conference last week in the Century Room.

The Colonels’ football team added 20 new players last Wednesday as head coach Charlie Stubbs announced the recruiting class of 2011.

This is Stubbs’ second recruiting class that he’s put together since becoming head coach of the Colonels last January.

“We are very excited about this signing class,” Stubbs said. “Experiencing a full year of the recruiting process allowed us to be very thorough with our evaluations and to get to know these student athletes better, and I’m very pleased with the results. Not only are these young men outstanding athletes, but many excel in the classroom as well.”

Stubbs made Louisiana his main target once again as 16 of the 20 commitments are from Louisiana with 12 of them earning All-State honors. Two of the other four recruits hail from Texas, while the final two are from Oklahoma and Georgia.

“We strictly adhered to our philosophy, which was to begin our recruiting efforts within the state, “Stubbs said. “I’m proud of the fact that 16 of these young men are from Louisiana.”

The Colonels signed 10 offensive players with their focus concentrated on strengthening two areas on offense—linemen and playmakers.

“The emphasis on offense for this recruiting class was to solidify up front and to get more playmakers so we can be more explosive on offense,” Stubbs said. “You will notice that we signed five offensive linemen, and we’re really excited about that because the game is played up front. It is important to note that when you control the line of scrimmage, you usually control the score of the game.”

The 2011 class lineman include 6’3” 290 lb. Cabel Cline (Norman North), 6’3″ 300 lb. Cailin Cola (West St. John), 6’6″ 275 lb. Tyler Knowles (Cinco Ranch), 6’4″ 280 lb. Garrison Trice (Brewer) and mid-year signee 6’5″ 318 lb. Ryan Zeller (St. Michael).

The skill players consist of two wide receivers, 5’9″ 160 lb. Josh Hanberry (John Curtis) and 5’11” 170 lb. Darryl Watson, Jr. (Holy Cross), two running backs, 5’9″ 190 lb. Joshua Johnson (Thibodaux) and 5’9″ 180 lb. Darnell Rachal (Riverside Academy) and athlete 6′ 200 lb. Terry Lucas, Jr. (St. Augustine).

After changing defenses this past season to a 3-4 scheme, the Colonels’ coaching staff made recruiting linebackers a top priority.

“With the change to a 3-4 package on defense, we wanted to bring in athletes that would fit our system,” Stubbs said. “We signed five aggressive linebackers to strengthen that area. It will give us more depth and competition for playing time. The three-man front package will allow us to play faster and quicker while being able to adjust to various offensive schemes and formations.”

The linebacker core consists of 5’9″ 195 lb. Brenton Bowman (Holy Cross), 6’2″ 215 lb. Nick LeBlanc (Vandebilt Catholic), 6’2″ 205 lb. Marcus Parker (Port Allen), 6′ 200 lb. Ben Taylor (Hahnville) and a mid-year transfer from Ole Miss, 6′ 220 lb. Brandon Sanders (Peachtree).

Rounding out the recruiting class are defensive linemen 6’4″ 255 lb. Cole Frazier (Brother Martin) and 6’2″ 285 lb. Jordan Thompson (Hahnville), safeties 6′ 180 lb. Davin Bovie (Riverdale) and 5’10” 170 lb. Byron Cobb (West Feliciana) and cornerback 5’10” 180 lb. Darvin Butler (Plaquemine).