Procastination made easy: how to survive an all-nighter

Many college students are not strangers to the experience of staying up all night to cram for a big exam or finish a paper.
One quick Google search of “how to pull an all-nighter” will yield almost 1,000,000 results.
Sometimes, because of circumstances out of our control or due to extreme procrastination, all-nighters are necessary. It is not recommended to use this extreme method for studying for a big final, as memorization is inhibited by the lack of sleep.
Ignoring the fact that staying up all night is not healthy and proven to deteriorate your memory, there are a few things you can do to lessen the pain of the experience.
Tip #1: Plan ahead.
Don’t just assume that you will be able to stay up with self-motivation as your only fuel. You will fail. You need to gather your supplies: caffeine, water, snacks and a multivitamin.
Tip #2: Healthy snacks.
Make sure that you drink twice as much water as coffee or energy drinks. Caffeine works like a drug, and if you find yourself jittery, it might be best to sip water for a while.
Some websites suggest alternating between water and caffeine every 30 to 45 minutes. Other sites recommend adding milk to the cycle as well.
Stay away from processed sugar to avoid a crash. Instead, try snacking on foods high in protein or natural sugar. Making a sandwich can be a quick break to refresh your mind. Fruits and veggies are always a good alternative to candy.
Tip #3: Stay Focused.
One of the hardest parts of pulling an all-nighter is staying focused. If your mind starts to wander, stand up and walk around to get your blood pumping again.
Just keep reminding yourself how much you’ve already accomplished and how little you have left.
When you think you are close to reaching your limit, take your multivitamin. Your body is usually restoring itself at night, and instead, you are putting more stress on it. The vitamin will help you feel less groggy in the morning.
Tip #4: Don’t underestimate the “power-nap.”
If your eyelids are heavy and your bed is calling your name, you might want to take a quick nap. Be careful not to fall into a deep sleep, and set an alarm to wake you up in 30 minutes. It would be a shame if you forgot to set your alarm and slept through the test you were cramming for.
The Huffington Post warns of the dangers of all-nighters. According to research from St. Lawrence University, students who regularly relied on studying all night received lower grades.
Other risks include less effective study methods, impaired memory and short-term euphoria. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood institute recommend seven to eight hours of sleep in a 24-hour time period. Healthy students who get fewer than six hours of sleep per night are four times more likely to suffer a stroke than their well-rested classmates.