New class schedule will create problems

A system that is already working and in place should only be altered if the ultimate benefits outweigh the possible drawbacks.  The old phrase, “Don’t fix what isn’t broken,” holds true concerning new schedule arrangements coming next spring at Nicholls.  
The schedule changes, which were initially intended to fight budget cuts by decreasing money spent on employees, utilities, and facilities, have now become rather pointless.  There is no longer a projected monetary gain from the changes, which begs the question:  why make the changes at all?
The new schedule changes will only affect a few hours on Friday afternoons, during which classes after 12 p.m. will not meet.  
Despite not having class, the University will more or less remain open in all other aspects.  Administration, food service employees, janitorial staff, and more will still be required to report to work.  Buildings will remain open and utilities will still run.  So what reasoning is there to cut out valuable class time?  
Not having as many students on campus on Friday afternoons could even be detrimental to the University in the long run.  If there are no classes running, students that commute (the majority of students) will have no reason to stick around.  So all the campus offices, services, and facilities that remain open will have less clientele.  This lack of business could really hurt the University financially.  
Not only is the new schedule more complicated, teachers will be more flexible to adjust class times at will, furthering possible confusion with students.  
Most students at Nicholls commute, and many have full-time jobs, family responsibilities, and other crucial commitments.  The revised schedule could pose a problem if it is less adaptable or even impossible for the many students with these lifestyles, resulting in a loss in student attendance.  
The prospect of having less or no class on Fridays might initially be appealing for students, but the reality is that everything must fall into place perfectly in an ideal schedule for a true three-day weekend to be possible.  One would have to only schedule 4MW, 5MW, 6MW, or 7MW classes for there to be no meeting on Fridays.  Additionally, professors heading those classes would have to stick to the standard class meeting times of those periods, rather than adjusting them to include class on Fridays.  
Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the changes is that there was no serious student involvement in the decision-making process.  Such a decision that greatly affects the students of the University should have been made with more regard to student opinion and input.  When students go to schedule for the spring semester, many will be confused and apprehensive when trying to put together a successful school schedule.  
There will be time conflicts, and there will be missed opportunities.  Hopefully the changes will not dramatically affect the University’s development and positive image.  Though, if the changes lead to disaster, students should be the last to blame.