Sports Briefs

TrackSophomore distance runner Dominique Harris led the way for Nicholls this weekend at the Southern Mississippi Invitational held on March 12.

The multi-event athlete moved into fourth on the all-time outdoor records list after covering the 200-meter dash in 26.41 seconds.

Other top finishers for Nicholls included junior distance runner Wongani Phiri (1500-meter dash, 5:16.02, 11th) and sophomore distance runner Stacy Jones (1500-meter dash, 5:30.52, 14th).

Jones also placed sixth in the 5000-meter run with a time of 20:57.26.

Participating in the meet were sophomore runner Nicole Triche, junior Jamie Johnson, sophomore Jodi Dufrene, sophomore Sarah Neunzig, sophomore Heather Gamble and freshman Sara West.

The Colonels will return to action Mar. 18 when they travel to take part in the Louisiana-Lafayette Open.

Baseball

With the help of a complete game shutout from starting pitcher Mike Hart, the Texas State Bobcats completed their weekend sweep of the Nicholls Colonels with a 6-0 victory Sunday afternoon at Ray E. Didier Field.

Nicholls dropped to 4-14 overall and 0-3 in the Southland Conference. Texas State moved to 9-11 overall and 5-1 in conference action.

Senior outfielder Michael Roberts went 2-for-4 at the plate to lead the Colonels’ offensively. David Wood finished the afternoon 2-for-3 with a double, two RBI and a run scored for the Bobcats.

Texas State jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead in the top of the first when Heath Keel led the game off with a double to right field, advanced to third on Jared Bunn’s groundout to second base and scored on Luke Cannon’s sacrifice fly to right field.

Texas State added a run in the eighth and two more runs in the ninth, all unearned, to take the game and the series, 6-0.