Pitcher carries on athletic family tradition

Sophomore pitcher Krystalin Ensminger brings more than just her play to the Nicholls State softball team; she brings an athletic family tradition.Ensminger joins the likes of her father, Steve; brother, Steve Jr.; and cousin, Ashley Lewis, who all played sports at the NCAA level.

Her father even spent a brief time playing quarterback for the New Orleans Saints and Philadelphia Eagles following his collegiate career at Louisiana State University.

Steve Jr. just recently signed to play quarterback at Auburn, where his father now coaches the tight ends. Lewis is now an assistant coach at Southeastern after a stellar career pitching at LSU where she garnered All-Louisiana honors three times.

“It’s really cool because we all have something in common,” Krystalin said. “Playing sports has brought my family much closer.”

Krystalin began her softball career at Auburn but decided to transfer after not getting enough playing time and wanting to be closer to home.

Krystalin is originally from Lake Charles, but her family later moved to Auburn, Ala.

Despite the size difference, Krystalin said she prefers Nicholls to Auburn.

“Nicholls may be smaller, but it’s much easier to meet people,” Krystalin said. “I like the small community setting. Everybody pretty much knows everybody here.”

Upon coming to Nicholls, Krystalin brought a winning attitude that has not gone unnoticed by her teammates.

“She keeps a positive attitude at all times,” sophomore pitcher Jessica Barksdale said. “She works hard at everything she does, and it makes everyone around her work hard.”

Through seven starts this season, Krystalin is 3-4 with a 6.10 earned run average. She is second on the team in innings pitched (41.1) but leads all Lady Colonels with 33 strikeouts.

Parsons said Krystalin is a valuable part of the Lady Colonels rotation.

“She brings experience, added depth on the mound. She’s a real competitor; that’s what I like about her,” Parsons said. “She fights tooth and nail to get every pitch. We’re working through some things right now, and she’s a big part of our team.”

Although she still has three years remaining in her college career, Krystalin still has personal and team goals she hopes to accomplish before she finishes.

“It would be nice to win conference, but that’s a big one,” Krystalin said. “My primary goal is to do my job and help the team win. I still have a few more years to play, but I just want to do my part to help the team win.”

Barksdale said she believes Krystalin has the potential to do good things for the Lady Colonels in the future.

“She’s real supportive of all the pitchers,” Barksdale said. “We’ve been throwing together since we were maybe 12. If I’m having a bad inning, she’s always there trying to pump me up.”

Parsons said Krystalin also has the potential to keep the Lady Colonels in ball games.

As far as her post-college plans go, Krystalin said she is still unsure, but she may end up in some form of marketing, since it’s her major.