NSU President welcomes students, recaps campus projects

Dear Nicholls Students:

On behalf of the entire Nicholls State University family, welcome to the fall 2011 semester! Whether you are returning to campus after a summer break or you are embarking on your first semester at Nicholls, you are coming to a campus that is significantly different and decidedly better than it was just last May.  

I’m delighted to announce the arrival nearly 40 new faculty members into 16 academic departments. It’s the largest such group we’ve had in years. Some are from Louisiana, but many are coming to Colonel country from as far away as Florida, South Carolina, West Virginia and Texas.

In addition to welcoming new faculty, we’ve been hard at work making improvements and repairs to the campus, all designed to enhance your college experience. We’ve achieved this by using funds from various sources that are dedicated solely for campus improvements. We have tackled projects ranging from sidewalk repairs to continuing construction on the much-anticipated Student Recreation Center.

So what’s new on campus?

Check out the relocated Jazzman’s Coffee Shop, on the corner across the street from Gouaux and Ayo Halls a perfect spot for students on the go. It’s a great place to hang out and enjoy a great cup of coffee. There’s even a drive-up window, which will be open soon, for customers who do not want to get out of their cars.

Looking for a place to sit and relax between classes while enjoying the beauty of the Quad? Try one of our two new patios – one in front of Shaver Gym, the other between Beauregard and Peltier halls.

An old friend has returned, too, and it is in pristine condition! Ayo Pool has been completely renovated.  It re-opened this July and will remain open until Oct. 1, 2011.

On the academic side, the two-phased renovation of Peltier Auditorium is now complete. The added technology will greatly enhance classes held in the facility; additionally, the auditorium will be able to host various cultural and social events.

On the housing side, Ellender Hall has a brand new air conditioning system, and we have installed new windows, siding and posts will soon be installed at Calecas Hall. With our other fine residence halls and dining facilities, living on campus is a great experience.

You’ll be glad to know, the Student Recreation Center remains on schedule to open in August 2012. Both intramural football/soccer fields will be ready for fall 2011 action – with lights for evening games to accommodate more students. The two softball fields will be ready for action the following spring, also with lights for nighttime games. Interested in following the recreation center construction? Go to nicholls.edu/recreation/photos, and you can watch the construction progress until next fall’s grand opening.

There are many ongoing campus projects, with others scheduled to start soon. Much has been done, but much more is still to come. Nicholls personnel are working hard to provide state-of-the-art facilities designed to enhance your college experience leading to a well-rounded education.

We are excited with the steps we’ve taken this summer to move Nicholls forward, and we are happy that you are here. I encourage you to get involved and become an active member of the Nicholls community. The more you invest in the campus, the more you’ll gain from your college experience.

All of us wish you well in your studies as you pursue your most important goal at Nicholls:  graduation!