Spring Break options prove to be fun and affordable

Spring break 2014 is right around the corner and now is the time to start planning an exciting getaway without breaking the bank.
Panama City Beach, Fla., is a must for first-time spring breakers. It seems as though a lot of the students at Nicholls will be attending this year.
This means that booking a hotel room is the first thing to do. Hotels such as The Sea Haven or The Sand Piper seem to be the most popular among Nicholls students every year. Having a big group of people sharing the room means cheaper cost per person. I suggest bringing blow-up mattresses or lots of blankets and comforters and pillows so no one sleeps on the floor. The only downfall of packing the room with people is it can get a little bit uncomfortable. However, when you are a broke college student, it is worth it.
Renting a beach house is another popular option among students and can become cheap if a big group of people is going together. A beach house can also be a more private and comfortable choice.
Transportation can be expensive with the rising cost of gas, but it does not have to cost that much when planned correctly. Ask the people with the best gas mileage to drive so the gas money costs less per person. It is a good idea for everyone to pitch in gas money to make it fair for the people driving.
Food is another cost to think about when planning for spring break. I suggest to cut the cost down, make a big serving of a dish that goes a long way and is fairly cheap to make, such as jambalaya, and divide it into Tupperware containers so that it can be eaten one or two of the nights at the hotel.
Bring cold cuts and bread to make sandwiches to take out with you when you spend the day at the beach. A little picnic lunch can not only be a fun way to soak up the sun, but it is cheap when divided amongst the group.
I suggest going out to eat at least once as a group while you are on spring break. It gives an opportunity to dress up and spend quality time together at a dinner. Going out to eat does not have to be expensive either. Just split an entrée with a friend or just make an appetizer your meal to save you a ton of cash that you can spend on other things.     
Another spring break spot may not be so popular, but according to some students, Gulf Shores is the way to go.
“Gulf Shores, Ala., is more of a low-key spot if you are not big on the crowds of Panama,” Reagan Langford, a nursing sophomore from Alabama said. “It is only a couple of hours away so the gas is cheaper!”
Gulf Shores still has the same relaxing beaches and awesome shopping, but right around the corner. It is definitely a good destination for junior or senior year Spring Break when the crowds and excitement are overrated.
If beaches and sand do not sound appealing, having a “staycation” is always a perfectly fine option.
Getting some friends together to have a movie marathon or a game night is a great way to pack in as much fun as possible while taking a break before finals.
If shopping is a must, take a tiny road trip to the Mall of Louisiana in Baton Rouge for the ultimate shopping experience that is close to home. It is only about an hour and a half away from Nicholls so feel free to “shop till you drop.”
My idea of the perfect spring break would consist of going to the beach with my closest friends and just relaxing my stresses away in the warm sand. But wherever you decide to be for spring break, just remember to be safe, save money, and have fun.